Skip to main content

The Endomarch 2014

Thursday 13th March, 2014. This was the day when women all over the world came together, for the first time, to raise much needed awareness for Endometriosis. I am so pleased to have been a part of it. My day started very early! At 5:30 am, my wonderful mother and I left Cardiff to travel to London. I had arranged to meet some endosisters from Twitter in Starbucks beforehand, then walk to the event together. When I arrived, I was the first one there. I was so excited but so nervous at the same time! I had been talking to these women for months, sharing ins and outs, and today was the day we would meet. It was like pre-date nerves! Soon, everyone started turning up and I couldn't have been put more at ease. The ladies were lovely. Straight away we fell into chatting about endo, our symptoms and most of all, how thankful we were for Twitter giving us a platform to be completely open and honest with others who understand. I felt normal! My stomach was extremely swollen, which I was so conscious about. I had planned to try and cover it, hold my bag in front of it, keep my jacket on etc... But do you know what - being with these ladies made me realise they all experience this - and I wasn't alone. I didn't have to hide or pretend for a change and that was lovely. 

When we arrived at Kensington Gardens, a crowd had already started to gather. We all set off on our march with sashes, badges, yellow headbands, banners and posters. Mothers, fathers, grandparents, sisters and partners all there for support. The sun had come out too, everything was just perfect. Trevor Dahl, the Chairman of Endometriosis UK, gave such a heart warming and motivational speech. A lovely group of school children were nearby and cheered louder than us! I think they were in a competition with us all, which was so funny, but it definitely got attention! I was pleased to have a chat with Trevor afterwards and can honestly say what a lovely, genuine and caring man he is. We are so lucky in the UK to have him involved with our Endometriosis charity. In front of the Albert Memorial, we all posed for our group photo and set off to finish the march. 


Being able to talk face to face with other endosisters was priceless. Although a few of us had to confirm each other by our twitter names, which was hilarious! We should have all had our Twitter names on some badges to make it easier! It was brilliant to be surrounded by people who wanted to help raise awareness and who actually understood our daily struggles. We certainly created a buzz, an atmosphere and a visual impact in Kensington Gardens. Many members of the public approached the crowd throughout the day to ask what was going on. We got people talking and that's a start! The Million Women March event wanted to empower, educate and effect change. I for one certainly felt empowered and united. I just hope that our voices will now be heard! Here's to 2015 :) 
#MyEndoDiary

Comments

  1. I couldn't make it this year but hopefully this will be annual thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great day. I'm hoping it will be an annual event too. The more awareness, the better! Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endometriosis: Post op

Ok, so I thought I should update you all after my operation on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed emotions after the laparoscopy though and I promise to fill you all in soon. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way I'm feeling now so I will post in the near future about all the details. Sharing information is the best way to know we're not alone in this. But for the moment, I'm just getting my head around things and concentrating on recovery. UPDATED: Endometriosis was found in my ovaries as expected and removed. It was also found on my bowel, but it was left untreated. #MyEndoDiary ♡

A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl - 16/04/13

Seeing as I've named my Blog 'My Endo Diary' I've decided to start this project, 'A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl' to portray just a snippet of a day with Endometriosis. Women with Endo are not lazy. Some, such as myself suffer daily pain. Chronic pain. Sometimes mild, sometimes exhausting, sometimes severe. Small things hurt massively. What some people take for granted doing, can take all of my energy. Even down to doing the dishes or making food. Endo is unpredictable. Tomorrow may be a better day. It may be worse. If I look or sound OK one day it doesn't mean I'm better. I'm either hiding the pain from you (I've become quite good at this), having an 'up and down day' (explained below) or on the rare chance having a good day. Every day with Endo for me, is different. However at the moment, they all contain some sort of pain. So here's my first entry. 16/04/13                   5:45am Woken up by Endo pains, stabs in my hips

Endometriosis: 3rd Time Lucky?

August 25th. This will be the date of my next operation. My third. I have waited 12 months to get this date. Then, out of the blue, I receive a letter from the hospital. With only 12 days notice. In a way, that's good. Less time to stress. But for me, I'll stress no matter what. I'll just cram a year of waiting into 12 days of worry. I'm now down to 7 days. This time next week... Some people may think that knowing what will happen and how the day pans out etc, will be a benefit. A comfort perhaps. For me, it's the complete opposite. I know how emotional I will get. I know the feelings of panic, anxiousness and nervousness will build up. I know at certain points they'll peak and I'll break down. Just before I'm due to go down to theatre I'm guaranteed to start crying. The fear takes over and there's nothing I can do at that point but just trust the doctors and nurses. But that's normal I guess. Third time around, it will not be any