Skip to main content

Endometriosis Glossary

When you are first diagnosed with Endometriosis, you may find yourself confused with all the different terminology... Pouch of Douglas, GnRH, HRT, Endometrioma, Menorrhagia and Zoladex to name but a few! Unfortunately, you do not get handed a fact sheet of FAQ's or information on what you can expect before, during or after your diagnosis. So, to provide some clarity, I have compiled a glossary of 'need to know' terms and phrases, that you may find helpful when learning about this chronic illness.



Adhesion: This is a band of scar tissue that can join your internal organs together. Think of it like a sticky glue, bonding organs to other organs or to your pelvic wall. This can cause a lot of pelvic pain.

Anaesthetic: This is used during surgery to either put a patient to sleep/make them unconscious (general anaesthetic) or to numb a certain part of the body (local anaesthetic).

Biopsy: During surgery for Endometriosis, a biopsy may be taken. This is when a sample of tissue is taken for further examination in a laboratory.

Bone Density: As a side effect of certain hormone treatments for Endometriosis (such as Prostap), the strength of your bones can be reduced. This cause cause pain, weakness and bones may become brittle.

Cauterisation: This is the removal of Endometriosis via a laser during surgery.

Chocolate Cyst (Endometrioma): If you have cysts in your ovaries, filled with old blood (dark brown in colour), it is known as an endometrioma - more frequently as chocolate cysts. This is due to their dark colours and liquid chocolate consistency.

Chronic: Endometriosis is a chronic illness. This means a condition is persistent and can last a significant period of time.

Cul-de-sac (Pouch of Douglas): This is the area between your womb and your rectum. Endometriosis can be found here.

Cystoscopy: This is the procedure used so that the bladder can be examined using a small telescope.

Dysmenorrhea: This is the medical term for painful periods.

Dyspareunia: This is the medical term for painful sex.

Endometrial Ablation: This procedure involves the womb lining being removed. It can be done using heat or being frozen, using lasers or electric currents. This will prevent a woman from becoming pregnant.

Endosister: A term used to describe other women who also suffer from Endometriosis (view here).

GnRH Analogue: Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Analogues (Agonists) are drugs that will put a woman into a temporary menopause. This is reversible. They work by stopping the ovaries stimulation and production of eggs. These can include drugs such as Prostap, Zoladex and Lupron.

Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT): This is a medication used during the menopause or the medically induced menopause. It helps to reduce the side effects that come with it. These include hot flushes, night sweats, mood swings, vaginal dryness and loss of bone density.

Hysterectomy: This is when the womb is removed during surgery. The extent of what is removed can vary. A total hysterectomy would include the removal of the womb and cervix. A sub-total hysterectomy would be removing just the body of the womb. A third option is a total hysterectomy with the removal of the ovaries and fallopian tubes also.

Incision: These are the cuts made into the body during surgery.

Laparoscopy: Surgery for Endometriosis is done via laparoscopy whilst under general anaesthetic. It involves a small telescope being inserted into your pelvis, normally through your navel. The telescope (also known as laparoscope) will have a camera attached to show the images on a screen for the surgeon to examine. If endometriosis is found, another incision is made to enable its removal.

Menopause: This is when a woman's periods stop due to her ovaries no longer functioning. Menopause can happen naturally or be medically induced with drugs.

Menorrhagia: This is the medical term for heavy periods.

Oestrogen: This is the female sex hormone that is produced in the ovaries. This controls the growth of the womb lining.

Ovarian Cyst: It can be found in or on the ovary. When it is related to endometriosis, it's known as an endometrioma (chocolate cyst).

Progesterone: This hormone enables the endometrium (womb lining) to allow pregnancy by receiving the fertilized egg.

Progestogens/Progestins: These are artifically created hormones that mimic the effects of progesterone. Also used in contraceptives. They can help to reduce endometrial tissue.

Transvaginal Scan: This is an scan that is done through the vagina. This will provide a clearer view of the ovaries and fallopian tubes.

Ultrasound: This scan uses sound waves to produce images of inside your body (including organs and tissue) onto a screen to be examined.

Uterosacral Ligaments: Endometriosis can be found here. These are the ligaments that hold the womb in place.

If you think of any other useful terms/phrases, please add them to the comment box below!

#MyEndoDiary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endometriosis: Post op

Ok, so I thought I should update you all after my operation on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed emotions after the laparoscopy though and I promise to fill you all in soon. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way I'm feeling now so I will post in the near future about all the details. Sharing information is the best way to know we're not alone in this. But for the moment, I'm just getting my head around things and concentrating on recovery. UPDATED: Endometriosis was found in my ovaries as expected and removed. It was also found on my bowel, but it was left untreated. #MyEndoDiary ♡

A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl - 16/04/13

Seeing as I've named my Blog 'My Endo Diary' I've decided to start this project, 'A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl' to portray just a snippet of a day with Endometriosis. Women with Endo are not lazy. Some, such as myself suffer daily pain. Chronic pain. Sometimes mild, sometimes exhausting, sometimes severe. Small things hurt massively. What some people take for granted doing, can take all of my energy. Even down to doing the dishes or making food. Endo is unpredictable. Tomorrow may be a better day. It may be worse. If I look or sound OK one day it doesn't mean I'm better. I'm either hiding the pain from you (I've become quite good at this), having an 'up and down day' (explained below) or on the rare chance having a good day. Every day with Endo for me, is different. However at the moment, they all contain some sort of pain. So here's my first entry. 16/04/13                   5:45am Woken up by Endo pains, stabs in my hips

Endometriosis: 3rd Time Lucky?

August 25th. This will be the date of my next operation. My third. I have waited 12 months to get this date. Then, out of the blue, I receive a letter from the hospital. With only 12 days notice. In a way, that's good. Less time to stress. But for me, I'll stress no matter what. I'll just cram a year of waiting into 12 days of worry. I'm now down to 7 days. This time next week... Some people may think that knowing what will happen and how the day pans out etc, will be a benefit. A comfort perhaps. For me, it's the complete opposite. I know how emotional I will get. I know the feelings of panic, anxiousness and nervousness will build up. I know at certain points they'll peak and I'll break down. Just before I'm due to go down to theatre I'm guaranteed to start crying. The fear takes over and there's nothing I can do at that point but just trust the doctors and nurses. But that's normal I guess. Third time around, it will not be any