Skip to main content

'The Emotional Causes of Endometriosis' - MY VIEW

Earlier this week I read a post called 'The Emotional Causes of Endometriosis'. To say I was a bit shocked at the content would be an understatement. The author of this blog, Elle Griffin, says she is a Natural Fertility Expert and Feminine Vitality Coach... In the introduction of this post, she states "you are not the cause of your hormone imbalance and thus have no reason to blame your body for your endometriosis." However, what comes next is the complete opposite. 

The 'theory' that is put forward, is that having Endometriosis is our bodies way of sending us a message, warning us of our self inflicted turmoil, which in turn, is causing all our pain. That if we allow our minds to be in conflict with our heart, we are ultimately bringing on this awful and sometimes cruel disease ourselves. If we just listen to our bodies messages, then we will heal ourselves and cure our endo. Wow! Just wow! Forget the tablets, forget the endless doctors appointments, multiple operations and hormone treatment. Our mindset alone is what will rid us of this chronic pain. If only it was that simple!


I'm 26 years old. Living at home with my mother and have no children. So, according to this 'theory' I'd be put in 'The Dependent' category. Meaning I'm clinging to my childhood, struggling to "grow up" and possess childlike qualities. I "eschew the duties of adulthood including moving out, getting married, or having a baby." Being within this category states I am so dependent on others (instead of myself) for love and attention, that my womb is doing the same thing and looking "outside itself for the same feelings of nourishment." This is the reason why endo tissue is found outside of my womb... REALLY?! Women with jobs/careers, you're not safe either. Within 'The Business Woman' category, women suffer with the need to work but the want to be a housewife or succeed in other areas apart from your career. So your womb is doing the same. Trying to seek happiness outside of itself. You would think that's enough garbage, right? Wrong! The 'Reluctant Mother' category is up next, women who "struggle to accept whether or not they want kids" are accepting motherhood when they don't want it. Doesn't the author realise that Endometriosis is one of the biggest causes of infertility and some women will not even have this choice?! Guess not..if the woman just accepts her true feelings of not wanting children, her emotional mindset would be balanced and therefore endo will be healed. Hooray! Yeah right...


I find it truly offensive to myself and all other Endosisters to suggest that our own emotions have caused this. That because we have taken our "sacred uterus for granted" we brought on endometriosis. It is a real, physical, debilitating disease! It is not psychological! It is not all in our heads! For someone to come along, without having done any research or provided any accurate facts, is just irresponsible, misleading and so ill-informed! I am all for believing that having a positive attitude will help us to cope/deal with endometriosis more effectively. Holistic approaches towards our health and well being I believe can have many positive impacts. But the suggestion that negative mindsets are a cause of endometriosis and positive mindsets will heal it, is just absurd to me and belittles what every Endosister goes through on a daily basis! 


One response to the post states  "I don't see how it is misleading unless the reader wants to be misled." I certainly don't want to be misled yet I still find it awfully misleading! Some people may be more susceptible than others. What about some women or young girls who have just been newly diagnosed with endo, or those who have been suffering for years and are desperate to find some answers? I for one have been at both those points, spending hours online researching, trying to find out why this has happened, what brought it on and how I can manage it! I worry articles like this may be taken seriously which could lead to further problems for Endosisters, further delays in treatment or progression of the disease.


I've read the authors own words on her 'Health Journey Page' where it states what she has been through and how she reached this point. It has no mention whatsoever of Endometriosis. She says she cured herself of hormone imbalances and bad periods. Massive gap between that and Endometriosis, don't you think?

Everyone is fully entitled to their own opinions. But when it comes to health conditions, especially those that can be as serious as Endometriosis, please do your research! It may not be life threatening, but for many it is life changing. Don't belittle it or us!

#MyEndoDiary

Comments

  1. I am entirely of your mind in this. There are sadly a lot of health writers and New Age gurus who spout this garbage. Louise L Hay has a lot to answer for.
    I suffered very badly with endo for many years and though now it is much diminished as a result of peri-menopause I still get some pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and garbage is all it is! Just wanted to respond so others who may come across it will not take it seriously! I totally understand people have different views on coping or managing a chronic illness, different ideas on techniques and treatments etc.. but that information is so misleading and patronising! Thanks very much for reading and I'm glad you agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that endometriosis causes depressions, low libido, negative mindset, etc. Actually, I've been suffering all these psychological troubles since I was 17-18 (I guess, endo started that age; i'm 27 now). I had a surgery 2 weeks ago, doctors rid off the endo focuses and I can tell that emotionally I feel much better now. I'm going to take Visanne medication to stop endo expansion for the next 6 month and then try to start my family.
    Anyway, a friend of mine attends yoga and she claims that some gynecological problems passed away, however they return from time to time. I think if there is a medical possibility to rid off a disease you should try it anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endometriosis: Post op

Ok, so I thought I should update you all after my operation on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed emotions after the laparoscopy though and I promise to fill you all in soon. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way I'm feeling now so I will post in the near future about all the details. Sharing information is the best way to know we're not alone in this. But for the moment, I'm just getting my head around things and concentrating on recovery. UPDATED: Endometriosis was found in my ovaries as expected and removed. It was also found on my bowel, but it was left untreated. #MyEndoDiary ♡

A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl - 16/04/13

Seeing as I've named my Blog 'My Endo Diary' I've decided to start this project, 'A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl' to portray just a snippet of a day with Endometriosis. Women with Endo are not lazy. Some, such as myself suffer daily pain. Chronic pain. Sometimes mild, sometimes exhausting, sometimes severe. Small things hurt massively. What some people take for granted doing, can take all of my energy. Even down to doing the dishes or making food. Endo is unpredictable. Tomorrow may be a better day. It may be worse. If I look or sound OK one day it doesn't mean I'm better. I'm either hiding the pain from you (I've become quite good at this), having an 'up and down day' (explained below) or on the rare chance having a good day. Every day with Endo for me, is different. However at the moment, they all contain some sort of pain. So here's my first entry. 16/04/13                   5:45am Woken up by Endo pains, stabs in my hips

The Endometriosis Effect..

I have mentioned a few times that  Endometriosis does not come alone.  (Click to see previous blog). It has an impact on all areas of our lives; our health & well being, social & emotional interactions, physical capabilities and our employment amongst others. This week my employment status has taken a direct hit. As from tomorrow, Tuesday 5th of March I will be officially unemployed. I have worked for my current company for 9 years. A few weeks ago I was called up for a meeting with the Operations Manager. I was told they were starting the process to terminate my contract due to 'job capability'. Not that I am not capable of doing my work correctly and achieving all targets set, but due to my illness and sickness from work. This week I handed in my notice as I didn't want to be fired for something, which at the moment, I can't control. I had a feeling this day would come sooner rather than later. I've had to take so many sick days and long term sick from