Skip to main content

IBS Newbie

Since having my lap and adhesions removed from my bowel I have still been experiencing stomach cramps, constipation, diarrhoea and bloating. This has now been put down to IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). It feels as soon as I'm starting to get over one thing, another blocks my way! Grr... Anyway, I called out to my followers on twitter for help and advice regarding IBS and I got floods of replies. (BIG THANKS to all!) I thought I'd share some tips I was given on here as IBS is closely linked with Endometriosis and if it may help one person scrolling through my blog then great! Im still an IBS Newbie so have also done a bit of my own research.. If anyone has any other tips please feel free to add to comments below!

What is IBS?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a condition of your digestive system which can cause bouts of stomach cramps, abdominal pain, bloating, urgency to go to the toilet, excessive wind, diarrhoea and constipation. It can affect 1 in 3 people. Women are more prone to get IBS which is probably related to hormones. It cannot be cured but changes to your diet, stress levels and fitness levels can help.

Tips from Tweeters & my own research


  • Keep a food diary to see what foods trigger your symptoms and what doesn't
  • Take a daily fibre supplement
  • Drink Peppermint Tea -- this was suggested in nearly every tweet! Peppermint helps aid digestion which in turn will help to balance your stomach
  • Wheat, gluten and dairy may trigger bloating
  • Increase fruit intake, possibly in a smoothie form to help incorporate it into your daily diet
  • Medications such as Buscopan or Mebeverine - both of which I have received from my Doctor
  • Black pepper can help to soothe cramps, relieve wind and stimulate a sluggish digestive system.
  • Eat your biggest meals earlier in the day, keep evening meals light
  • Herbs/Supplements - Calcium can help diarrhoea. Linseed can help constipation. Artichoke can help digestive trouble

Foods to EAT
  • Fish, Green veg, Rice, Porridge, Yoghurt, Bananas, Chicken, Bran, Potatoes, Brown bread

Foods to AVOID
  • Spicy foods, Crisps, Biscuits, Fried and fatty foods, Onions and Leeks, Fizzy drinks, Caffeine, Cheese, Chocolate, Pulses (beans and lentils), Eggs, Alcohol, White bread, Sweets and desserts. Sauces - ketchup, pickle relish, soy sauce, chutney, and barbecue sauce.

I understand there may be some variations in the food list above as everyone is different, but this was a standard guide in a recent newspaper article.

To start off with I have made a food diary and cut out all caffeine, drinking peppermint tea by the bucketful instead! I have also cut out wheat and chocolate from my diet. Will see how this goes then will move on to the next. I think it's going to take a while to find out all my triggers but hoping it will be all worth it in the end!

Websites that list triggers and further information on IBS

http://www.joybauer.com/photo-gallery/common-ibs-trigger-foods/Chocolate.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/ibs1.shtml
#MyEndoDiary

Comments

  1. Oh Carla, I am so sorry for your new diagnosis. But I am glad you are taking a proactive approach and trying to learn as much as you can! I will be praying that these first few months of the new diagnosis won't be too hard and you can get a handle on things quickly. I am, as always, thinking of you and sending lots of love. Take care of yourself friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna, just catching up on comments, i appreciate ur reply. Hope ur doing ok x

      Delete
  2. I just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award on my blog! I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have IBS as well, and it is never fun to deal with. Thankfully with a change in diet it is manageable though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Melody, you right its not fun at all! I hope ur managing ok & feeling well x

      Delete
  3. I stumbled across your blog, i am also in the same boat as you, want to travel want to work but one day to the next is a constant battle!!! keeping a smile on your face seems hard at times to i understand. I haven't even had my laprascopy yet but is coming soon! not looking forward to it!, but before i got diagnosed with endo they put me down to IBS of the digestive system which has been stuck with me ever since even thought i was adament it wasn't!! but now they have labelled me with abresion, endo, over-active bladder and ibs of the digestive system!!, But what i was going to say to you when i went into hospital for the second time with serious pains they said various things were inflammed and that they would need to do more test (being really positive like you do) they came back to tell me i had ibs! i had been through this and was fed up so gave the gastro dr a frustrated blast and she basically told me that drs say ibs when they have exhausted all other test and have no idea what is wrong with you!
    also i wanted to say to you i was in SO much pain then started limiting my diet have a look at my blog and ive put some bits on there that may help you with limiting your diet (this isn't a plea to please look at my blog just thought it may help since yours is very similar to mine)
    sorry about the long comment.
    i just hope this helps you x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Josephine, thanks very much for taking the time to read my blog & comment. I'll definately read your blog, any tips/advice i can get are all welcome! I agree, its very frustrating that drs put everything just down to ibs.. i was annoyed they kept telling me it was only ibs i had at first, until i had my laparoscopy last yr & was diagnosed with endo. In my 2nd lap this year thats when it went to my bladder and bowel too. Thanks again for ur reply x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endometriosis: Post op

Ok, so I thought I should update you all after my operation on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed emotions after the laparoscopy though and I promise to fill you all in soon. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way I'm feeling now so I will post in the near future about all the details. Sharing information is the best way to know we're not alone in this. But for the moment, I'm just getting my head around things and concentrating on recovery. UPDATED: Endometriosis was found in my ovaries as expected and removed. It was also found on my bowel, but it was left untreated. #MyEndoDiary ♡

A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl - 16/04/13

Seeing as I've named my Blog 'My Endo Diary' I've decided to start this project, 'A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl' to portray just a snippet of a day with Endometriosis. Women with Endo are not lazy. Some, such as myself suffer daily pain. Chronic pain. Sometimes mild, sometimes exhausting, sometimes severe. Small things hurt massively. What some people take for granted doing, can take all of my energy. Even down to doing the dishes or making food. Endo is unpredictable. Tomorrow may be a better day. It may be worse. If I look or sound OK one day it doesn't mean I'm better. I'm either hiding the pain from you (I've become quite good at this), having an 'up and down day' (explained below) or on the rare chance having a good day. Every day with Endo for me, is different. However at the moment, they all contain some sort of pain. So here's my first entry. 16/04/13                   5:45am Woken up by Endo pains, stabs in my hips

The Endometriosis Effect..

I have mentioned a few times that  Endometriosis does not come alone.  (Click to see previous blog). It has an impact on all areas of our lives; our health & well being, social & emotional interactions, physical capabilities and our employment amongst others. This week my employment status has taken a direct hit. As from tomorrow, Tuesday 5th of March I will be officially unemployed. I have worked for my current company for 9 years. A few weeks ago I was called up for a meeting with the Operations Manager. I was told they were starting the process to terminate my contract due to 'job capability'. Not that I am not capable of doing my work correctly and achieving all targets set, but due to my illness and sickness from work. This week I handed in my notice as I didn't want to be fired for something, which at the moment, I can't control. I had a feeling this day would come sooner rather than later. I've had to take so many sick days and long term sick from