Skip to main content

Endometriosis: Doctor's need a wake up call...!!!

I've gone past the frustrated state I was in this morning. I've gone past the anger, the feeling that I would like to slap that Dr right across the face. Gone past feeling annoyed, wound up and livid. I'm now upset. My first ever blog was about how the majority of doctor's dismiss endo. Today it happened once again.. << Rewind to the beginning of last week (as I stated in my previous blogs), I started a new hormonal medication called Norethisterone to help with my treatment of endo. I am also on evorel patches to counteract the side effects that come with my treatment. Since the new tablets started the patches have not been working and my emotions and mood swings have gone right out of the window. So I arranged an appointment with my GP today for some help with 3 simple things..

1. A sick note to cover me for my time off from work this week.

2. Higher dose evorel/hormone patch to help me cope with the rise in side effects from the new medication.

3. More buscopan cramp tablets as the last few weeks i've been in agony and they only supplied me with a weeks worth last time..

As soon as I walked into the Dr's office, the first words she uttered to me was "You have 10 minutes." After having to wait an extra 30 minutes as she was running late with the last patient I wasn't too impressed but just let it pass. I explained what had been happening the last few weeks, pains, cramps and side effects. Answer - stop the Norethisterone. Simple yes? No. I then had to explain to her what these tablets actually were and what they were being used for, as prostap wasn't working alone it needed this to co-inside with it. If I stopped taking it I would be bleeding all day, every day, very heavy like before. I was then advised that irregular/heavy periods were not a symptom of endo and not very common at all. Ok.. left that go also. The next piece of advice she decided to give me was "I need to put up with some pain"...Oh My Gosh... At this point I wanted to slap her. I 'put up' with pain everyday. I have 'put up' with it for years! I always take my mother into every appointment with me, I have been dismissed so many times she always comes in now to make sure they listen to me. I looked at my mothers face when the Dr said this and knew instantly this wasn't just me being 'hormonal' and taking it the wrong way. My mother quickly informed the Dr that I go for too long without taking pain relief, because I hate doing it, and on a day to day basis she ends up shouting at me to take something because by that time I'm doubled over in pain, usually crying. I thought at this point the Dr would provide me with the prescription she had wrote and I could leave. Wrong. She then went on to ask me "Am I sure I actually have endometriosis and it's not just a bowel problem??"

AAARRRGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
So Dr, if it's not endo then I had a laparoscopy for the sake of it? I'm having prostap injections every month, being put into an early menopause, wearing hormone patches and taking pain relief tablets nearly every day at just twenty three just for the sake of it? I nearly blew. I normally have the patience of a saint. I'm quite a laid back person, don't take things too seriously if I don't have to, I don't argue back with people. But this time I really felt like blowing. My health I take more seriously than anything else. Why should I just have to 'put up' with things? Now I'm at the point I'm really upset. I've cried a little and cant believe I've let a doctor who knows nothing about endo make me feel this bad. I even started to think maybe I shouldn't have asked for those things? I should have just stuck it out...luckily my sense kicked back in pretty much straight away and I remembered what an endosister said to me yesterday:
"I don't care what HE says, what SHE says, or what THEY say. All I know is what I say AND I know my body best."

Wise words. How true this mantra is, I just didn't think I'd be using it so soon. I'm totally and utterly fed up. Why does it have to be such a battle? Constantly! Why can't doctors actually read up on endometriosis and actually speak to their patients. Learn first hand from us what its actually like, not just read from textbooks. What can I do to change this? I'm running out of steam, energy, patience and idea's.. But if I stop shouting, stop searching then I'd be in a worse situation. No one writes this on an endo fact sheet. Its about time doctors got real..!! 

#MyEndoDiary

Comments

  1. I know you don't know me, but I have been following for a while and I feel it is now time to speak up!

    I am so very sorry that you had a PROFESSIONAL speak to you in that way! I too had a similar conversation just yesterday with someone from my doc's office because he was too busy! This woman told me I was just "one of the unfortunate ones" and to try to deal and to keep an eye on the massive 3 week long bleeding I had!

    What is wrong with the healthcare field?!?! They are supposed to be advocates not enemies!

    Don't get too discouraged though, you have all of your endo sisters and (thankfully) organizations dedicated solely to finding us a cure and relief from our painful lives!

    Don't lose faith and stay strong!

    Your endo sister/friend from across the sea,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I just tweeted you but I had to respond here too. What a JERK! That doctor should not be allowed to practice! You have no reason to take her seriously ever. She clearly had no idea what she's talking about and just has a God complex thinking she knows better than you even without listening to a word you're saying.

    We're all here for you. We've all been there and we all know that no one other than us and our fellow endo sisters really know what's going on.

    I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It's completely unnecessary especially given everything you're going through. Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lack of compassion,understanding and downright rudeness of this "Doctor" is disgusting!!
    You are a young Lady suffering enough already without having to be subjected to this "Professionals" attitude problem!
    I find this very upsetting to read what you have been through Today.

    Please know that im thinking of you and sending you a massive Hug
    x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanna, thankyou very much for your comment & for reading my blogs..that means alot to me! isn't it annoying that 'drs' feel they can just dismiss endo as if its just a bad period problem that we should just get on with! soo frustrating!

    My lovely womanwarrier & meinsideandout :) thankyou! I called her a lot more than a jerk this morning! I dunno how i stayed so calm and didnt smack her one!

    The only constant + positive thing throughout all of this is the support from endosisters, and i thank u all soo much for that! Hugs back to all of you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had many a doctor like that, so I completely understand what you're going through.

    It's unfortunate that a lot of doctors are still in the dark ages when it comes to endometriosis. They think they know EVERYTHING. I've had doctors tell me I had a low pain tolerance and send me home with a box of Midol after telling them I had Endo. WTF?

    I've fired many a doctor for pulling crap like that. I've sent letters telling them exactly why I fired them and included info on Endometriosis so they could educate themselves. It's not right for them to brush off a disease as serious as ours.

    Keep fighting! There are some very good doctors out there, We just have to weed though all the crappy ones to find them....

    ~BIG HUGS~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Margie, thanks for reading and replying to me post. Im sorry that you've experienced this too, more common place than i'd wish it to be. But your right, we have to fight our way through the rubbish ones to find a gem! Just a lot of hard work on top of everything else we have to put up with! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endometriosis: Post op

Ok, so I thought I should update you all after my operation on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed emotions after the laparoscopy though and I promise to fill you all in soon. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way I'm feeling now so I will post in the near future about all the details. Sharing information is the best way to know we're not alone in this. But for the moment, I'm just getting my head around things and concentrating on recovery. UPDATED: Endometriosis was found in my ovaries as expected and removed. It was also found on my bowel, but it was left untreated. #MyEndoDiary ♡

A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl - 16/04/13

Seeing as I've named my Blog 'My Endo Diary' I've decided to start this project, 'A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl' to portray just a snippet of a day with Endometriosis. Women with Endo are not lazy. Some, such as myself suffer daily pain. Chronic pain. Sometimes mild, sometimes exhausting, sometimes severe. Small things hurt massively. What some people take for granted doing, can take all of my energy. Even down to doing the dishes or making food. Endo is unpredictable. Tomorrow may be a better day. It may be worse. If I look or sound OK one day it doesn't mean I'm better. I'm either hiding the pain from you (I've become quite good at this), having an 'up and down day' (explained below) or on the rare chance having a good day. Every day with Endo for me, is different. However at the moment, they all contain some sort of pain. So here's my first entry. 16/04/13                   5:45am Woken up by Endo pains, stabs in my hips

Endometriosis: 3rd Time Lucky?

August 25th. This will be the date of my next operation. My third. I have waited 12 months to get this date. Then, out of the blue, I receive a letter from the hospital. With only 12 days notice. In a way, that's good. Less time to stress. But for me, I'll stress no matter what. I'll just cram a year of waiting into 12 days of worry. I'm now down to 7 days. This time next week... Some people may think that knowing what will happen and how the day pans out etc, will be a benefit. A comfort perhaps. For me, it's the complete opposite. I know how emotional I will get. I know the feelings of panic, anxiousness and nervousness will build up. I know at certain points they'll peak and I'll break down. Just before I'm due to go down to theatre I'm guaranteed to start crying. The fear takes over and there's nothing I can do at that point but just trust the doctors and nurses. But that's normal I guess. Third time around, it will not be any