Skip to main content

The Battle Of The Swollen Stomach

At the moment I’m sitting at home after having to ring in sick to work, again, having cramps, vaginal pain, feeling sorry for myself. Its my birthday next Sunday.. I’ll be 24. When I had my laparoscopy in February I really thought by the time my birthday came I’d be recovered. Finished with endo. Done. Instead, I’ll be a 24 year old that still has an extremely swollen stomach. Still looking five months pregnant and living in my oversized black cardigan just to try and hide the bloated look a little. I don’t think it works, I most probably still look fat or pregnant to others, but its become a kind of comfort and I hardly go anywhere without it on.

Since all this started, my swollen stomach was the first main symptom (along with shooting/stabbing pains) that I had and knew instantly something was wrong. Since then, my stomach has never gone down to what it was before. Granted some days its not as bad, but its never flat or ‘normal’. I’ve forgotten what normal looks or feels like. I’m fed up of wearing the same clothes all the time because half of my wardrobe doesn’t fit around my stomach. The last week my stomach has been at an all time high. Huge. I weighed this morning. An extra 7 pounds have been added instantly due to my swelling. Half a stone. It hurt. A lot. I cried. Partly due to my emotions lately, mostly due to frustration. Frustrated that I cant control the swelling. I’m all researched out on ‘how to reduce a swollen stomach’. Drink plenty of water, don’t drink too much water, take water retention tablets, dandelion herbal tablets. I’ve tried it. I try to convince myself some days that yes, its working, my stomach is looking better. The next day, whoosh! Huge again, back to the black cardigan.

I think even Google is fed up of me now thinking ‘oh here she is again..’ ‘what does she want this time?!’ I know what I want. I want my swollen stomach to go. I want to be able to wear nice clothes that a 24 year old should be wearing, without having to restrict my wardrobe to loose fitting items, that cover my stomach. That’s what I want. I think that would be half the battle in me feeling better, physically and emotionally. That’s what I want. But how do I get it? I have absolutely no idea. And that’s really getting me down…x


** Please see The Battle Of The Swollen Stomach - Part 2 **

#MyEndoDiary

Comments

  1. I was awake until 1:30 am last night researching the SAME thing. I am so resentful that spring is finally coming and I am so not happy with my body and I have to wear ridiculously large clothes instead of something cute to celebrate the beautiful weather. It's so frustrating and our current emotional state does not help. I wish I could do something to fix this for you. Please know there is something on the other side of the ocean that is going through exactly this. You are never alone. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you. As much as i'd hate anyone to be in the same situation it does help to know im not the only one becoming extremely frustrated due to this issue. And your right, our emotional states dont help. Some days i can just get on with it. But days like today its just getting me down. Thank you so much for letting me know im not the only one going through this. If i find any answers i'll be sure to let you know!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand,I live in loose Clothes. I cant bear anything tight around my Waist! It does make you very self concious.Thinking of you my Friend..but dont forget something very Important..Your Beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats very kind of you :) thank you..you'll make me cry now haha x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have constant pain.. not just during my period and I've been told 'nope couldn't be endo if its all the time' now I'm being told the swelling of my stomach isn't from Endo either.. I cried at my doctor recently and told her I felt like all my doctors were backing away, putting there hands up, and saying not it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have constant endo pain too Nicole not just when on my period. I got told that too! Was told no its not Endo, just IBS alone! Even after my lap being diagnosed with endo + 6 months of prostap injections a locum dr told me again it was just ibs and she didnt think it was endo?! I think some drs find it easier for them to just dismiss us, too much harf work. They dont do whats best for us all the time! x

      Delete
  6. I totally feel your pain. I look 6 months pregnant on a regular basis. I have found the low FODMAP diet helps a lot. Although sometimes my stomach still has a mind of its own and bloats up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still suffering from swelling. With endo + IBS on top you can imagine the size of my stomach at the moment..depressing! Glad the diet helps, hope it will settle your bloating! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endometriosis: Post op

Ok, so I thought I should update you all after my operation on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed emotions after the laparoscopy though and I promise to fill you all in soon. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way I'm feeling now so I will post in the near future about all the details. Sharing information is the best way to know we're not alone in this. But for the moment, I'm just getting my head around things and concentrating on recovery. UPDATED: Endometriosis was found in my ovaries as expected and removed. It was also found on my bowel, but it was left untreated. #MyEndoDiary ♡

A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl - 16/04/13

Seeing as I've named my Blog 'My Endo Diary' I've decided to start this project, 'A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl' to portray just a snippet of a day with Endometriosis. Women with Endo are not lazy. Some, such as myself suffer daily pain. Chronic pain. Sometimes mild, sometimes exhausting, sometimes severe. Small things hurt massively. What some people take for granted doing, can take all of my energy. Even down to doing the dishes or making food. Endo is unpredictable. Tomorrow may be a better day. It may be worse. If I look or sound OK one day it doesn't mean I'm better. I'm either hiding the pain from you (I've become quite good at this), having an 'up and down day' (explained below) or on the rare chance having a good day. Every day with Endo for me, is different. However at the moment, they all contain some sort of pain. So here's my first entry. 16/04/13                   5:45am Woken up by Endo pains, stabs in my hips

Endometriosis: When did it all start?

Christmas 2009 is when my life changed. I had always suffered extremely heavy and painful periods. But to me that was normal. I didn't realise then that was a symptom. I was able to manage it. Whether it was wearing two pads, scouring chemists or supermarkets for period pain relief, heat pads, painkillers, holisitc bracelets, taking days off school or spending days in bed. That was my normal. But Christmas 2009 is when more symptoms started coming. Nothing I could put my finger on exactly at the time. I just I knew I didn't feel right. Especially my emotional health. I was so down. With hindsight it must of been changes of my hormone levels as hormones play such a big part in Endometriosis. Looking back, I now know that was the start of the flare. February 2010, I started having stabbing pains in my stomach. I remember the 1st ever time it happened. I was doing normal things. I was actually walking across my landing to get to my bedroom. The pains shot across through my stoma